I may rustle some feathers with the Steve Job cultists but this was no contest.
I wanted to install the app for controlling an Olympus camera via WI-FI. This would allow remote control of the camera so I can capture birds etc.
I have an iPhone 4 and a HP Slate 10 inch android tablet
Tablet installation steps
- Go to Google and choose apps
- Search (via voice) for Olympus Image Share
- Download App
- Turn on camera and display the QR code
- Type scan on installed tablet application.
- Tested it, works!
iPhone installation steps
- Go to apps icon
- type in Olympus Image Share (a few times with those damn little keys)
- enter password
- password refused
- try again ( a few times)
- Go to iTunes Store on desktop
- enter password (failed)
- change password
- change password to something that is sufficiently difficult to remember
- set questions
- first car? VW? too short
- set up payment information (for a free app)
- agree to some kind of legal document (might as well be the Mein Kampf)
- enter new complex password
- go to iTunes store (enter password again)
- find the app
- download the free app (paid $0.00)
- agree to more stuff
- app for phone is uploaded to the secure iCloud (the one with the nudie celebrity photos)
- go back to iPhone
- enter new password a few more times allowing for finger errors.
- download from iCloud to phone
- start app
- turn on camera
- point phone at QR code
- get some cryptic error message that makes no sense
- Give up and decide to use the tablet for any meaningful work
And now a word from our sponsors